Re: Any Old Port In A Storm

Andrew Stribblehill <a.d.stribblehill@durham.ac.uk> writes:

> Would it be useful to have an update-services program so anything
> that wants to use a non-standard port should register itself in
> /etc/services? Admittedly, this isn't a perfect solution since
> nsswitch.conf can use something other than /etc/services (LDAP,
> anyone?)

Yes. An update-services similar to update-modules would be a Very Good
Thing. We invent a lot of our own services, many of which get run out of
inetd. That means we need to put an entry in /etc/services, and it is
very annoying to have that file get overwritten by debian upgrades. We
attack the problem with cfengine's editfiles command, but it would be
much nicer to just drop a file into /etc/services.d.

--
Dave Carrigan (dave@rudedog.org)            | Yow! UH-OH!!  I put on ``GREAT
UNIX-Apache-Perl-Linux-Firewalls-LDAP-C-DNS | HEAD-ON TRAIN COLLISIONS of the