Re: Any Old Port In A Storm

Hi

Andrew Stribblehill schrieb:
> Would it be useful to have an update-services program so anything
> that wants to use a non-standard port should register itself in
> /etc/services? Admittedly, this isn't a perfect solution since
> nsswitch.conf can use something other than /etc/services (LDAP,
> anyone?)

The intent of such a registry would be to minimize (implicit)
conflicts between packages in the Debian archive because they
use the same ports per default. I wonder how long it would take
until every developer of packages which bind to ports not
registered with IANA register with this debian thing.

ciao, 2ri
--
Why is "abbreviation" such a long word?