Re: Any Old Port In A Storm

Dave Carrigan wrote:
> Yes. An update-services similar to update-modules would be a Very Good
> Thing. We invent a lot of our own services, many of which get run out of
> inetd. That means we need to put an entry in /etc/services, and it is
> very annoying to have that file get overwritten by debian upgrades. We
> attack the problem with cfengine's editfiles command, but it would be
> much nicer to just drop a file into /etc/services.d.

/etc/services is a conffile; if dpkg is overwriting local changes on
upgrades, would that not be a bug in dpkg?

One of the nice things about /etc/services is it lists services that I
do *not* have installed. This is handy if you're port scanning another
of your systems, to get the service names filled in. Breaking it into a
ton of little files that only get installed if the packages providing
them are installed will mess this up, and I oppose the idea.

--
see shy jo