Re: Splitting locales and i18ndata from glibc into some sane packages

Miros/law `Jubal' Baran wrote:
> Wouldn't it be good to implement subpackages into dpkg?

It would be easier and more generally useful to implement file
exclusions. Then you could exclude all of /usr/share/locale/ except C
and <favorite-language-code-here>, plus it has other uses like
systems that want to share /usr via nfs.

Of course Ben's right, you still have to download the whole thing.

All my other ideas involve offending someone, but I'll mention them
anyway:

* Pick the top 5 or 10 languages that are spoken by a large percentage of
  the world/computer users, and put them in one package, which will
  probably be about 2 mb in size. Put all the other, rarer languages in
  another package, which I guess will be 18 mb or so in size. It doesn't
  satisfy everyone, but it makes things easier for a lot of people
  without inconveniencing anyone more than they are now.
* Um, I thought I had another similar idea but I've forgotten it.

BTW, I think we need a general policy to cover this situation, if we
don't come up with a technical quick fix. Packages that need to have
their i18n data split should all do it the same way.

--
see shy jo