Re: netcfg questions not asked with priority=critical. HD partition recipe.

Hello,

Regid Ichira, le Sat 13 Apr 2013 19:37:14 +0300, a écrit :
> 1. With all the following conditions:
>    1.1 auto=true
>    1.2 no priority defined by me
>    1.3 dhcp server supplies the host and domain names
>    1.4 d-i netcfg/get_hostname string foo and
>        d-i netcfg/get_domain string bar
>        are set in the preseeded file.
>    the netcfg settings had no effect.  I was asked to confirm the
>    host and domain names supplied by the dhcp server.

I have done the following, which I believe is equivalent to what you
have done:

- remastered debian-wheezy-DI-rc1-amd64-netinst-1.iso, to add a
  preseed.cfg file at its root, containing

  d-i netcfg/get_hostname string foo
  d-i netcfg/get_domain string bar

- tinkered qemu so it reports a dhcp domain search name too (dhcp option
15)

- ran qemu this way:

qemu -cdrom netinst.iso -net nic -net user,hostname=foo2

- at boot prompt, appended auto=true preseed/file=/cdrom/preseed.cfg
(so without setting any priority)

And I did not get asked for the hostname or domain name, and running
debconf-get netcfg/get_hostname (and netcfg/get_domain) shows that the
values returned by dhcp have properly been taken into account.

I'm only asked for confirmation of the values returned by dhcp when I do
not pass the preseed/file boot option.

So I can only see it working as expected, and there must be something
that you and I are doing differently.  How is your dhcp server returning
the hostname and domain name? Is it perhaps using the fqdn option
instead of the separate host name (12) + domain name (15)? Are you sure
that preseeding actually works for you?  You could for instance try to
also put

d-i passwd/root-password password r00tme
d-i passwd/root-password-again password r00tme

to check that the root password question is properly skipped.  If it's
not skipped, the preseeding has not worked and that's where the issue
is, not in netcfg.

> 2. Setting priority=critical, and everything else is like in 1, made
>    the verfication questions disappear.

That is not surprising, as these are not of critical priority.

Samuel