Problems and questions with preseeding

1. The auto alias doesn't work.  auto=true does work.  In fact, the
   installation guide has contradictory saying on this issue.
   http://d-i.debian.org/manual/en.i386/apbs02.html, B.2. Using
   preseeding, has examples with only auto, without a value.  And
   further down that page, it is written that a value is always
   required.
2. Even though the dhcp server is supplying a host name, and the
   preseeding file has a

       d-i netcfg/get_hostname string hostname

   set, the installer insists to ask the hostname question.
   example-preseed.txt claims that

       # Any hostname and domain names assigned from dhcp take
         precedence over
       # values set here. However, setting the values still
         prevents the questions
       # from being shown, even if values come from dhcp.

   I also have

       d-i netcfg/get_domain string domain

   set.  I did tried to run the installer many times.  I am not
   sure by what rule it ask the question about the domain, or not.
   In contrast to the hostname question, the behaviour is not
   consistent.

3. Can a

       d-i partman-auto/expert_recipe string

   be useful for a $lvmignore{ } root and a $defaultignore{ },
   $lvmok{ }, other fs?  Whatever combinations I tried, none can
   make such a recipe to work.  For simplicity, can you write an
   example for a /boot in a non lvm partition, and all the other
   fs on an lvm one?