Re: Beta2 preparation: proposed unblock for netcfg(?)

Cyril Brulebois <kibi@debian.org> writes:

> Christian PERRIER <bubulle@debian.org> (25/08/2012):
>> netcfg is a bit more tricky than other packages I proposed.
>>
>> testing has 1.81, unstable now has 1.89.
>>
>> Changes summary:
>>
>> * List available ESSIDs: I tested this change myself and...it's
>>   working as expected
>>
>> * Add logging to iface activation and deactivation: trivial change
>> which is mostly aimed at helping further development, I guess
>>
>> * Rename cryptic killall.sh to kill-all-dhcp: admitedly cosmetic
>> (shut-up lintian...). Tested by myself
>>
>> * Coding style cleanups: not sure it was appropriate at this stage of
>> the release (OK, no more no less than my won cosmetic changes!)....but
>> seems safe
>>
>> * Cleanup link detection handling and improve logging: ditto
>>
>> * Avoid gateway reachability testing on s390(x) with a layer 3 qeth
>>   network device: as far as I understand, important for s390x
>>
>> * wireless.c: Fix some spelling mistakes: trivial and safe
>>
>> ....and of course, many l10n changes (most of them triggerred by the
>> "List available ESSIDs" change by Sorina)
>
> Indeed, that one is trickier. It will probably only be reviewed later
> this weekend, or during next week. Thanks for the details.

Just as an additional data point. I have been using all these changes
since they were commited in all my tests and don't know of any
unresolved problems. I also reviewed all changes made by Sorina before
mergeing them to trunk. But of course I can't garantuee that I did not
miss something. Another check is always appreciated.

As a last part of the GSOC project we are working on a better solution
to carry over wireless configuration to the installed system. This
should avoid the current problems that the cleartext password is written
to /etc/network/interfaces and that network-manager does not manage the
wireless interface because of that.

This code can be found in the people/sorina/write_config branch. I don't
intend to merge this before wheezy without prior discussion on
debian-boot. But personally I think both changes should go into the
wheezy installer.

Gaudenz

--
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter.