Re: Skip kbd-chooser when running under Xen

Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk> writes:

> On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 15:04 +0200, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>> Ian Campbell <ijc@hellion.org.uk> writes:
>>
>>> On Mon, 2008-05-26 at 12:38 +0200, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
>>>
>>> Will this patch do the right thing if Xen is being installed using the
>>> paravirutal framebuffer device present in 2.6.26-rc? It looks to me as
>>> if it will not.
>>
>> Good point, I don't know anything about this new stuff.  What do you
>> think the best scenario would be?  Will that framebuffer be the
>> default when there's nothing specified on the kernel command line?
>
> Unfortunately it is more complex than that... If I understand correctly
> (and I'm not sure I do) with recent kernels (i.e. 2.6.26-rcN) the PVFB
> will be the default if the device is configured for that domain (i.e. in
> the xm config file in domain 0), otherwise hvc0 will be the default.
>
>> Does it make keyboard configuration sensible or even necessary?
>
> I'm not *sure* but I think when using PVFB keymap configuration does
> make sense.

I've found this old thread only.  It's muddy, for the least.
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2007-01/msg00383.html

>> Anyway, would adding a check for console=hvc0 (in conjuction with the
>> present Xen check, so not to break the real PowerPC console) suffice?
>>
>> Or is there a possibility of the hvc console becoming the default?
>
> Unfortunately yes, it is already the case in the git repo I think.

We will need a more generic approach then.  But I don't know a way to
detect the current console device.  Maybe a specific ioctl, which is
supported by hvc only?  Or is it directly available under /sys?

On the other hand, there's not much to gain here and perhaps we'd
better wait until these things stabilize.
--
Cheers,
Feri.