Re: Skip kbd-chooser when running under Xen

On Thursday 08 May 2008, Ferenc Wagner wrote:

> vmlinuz-2.6.18-6-xen-686 suite=etch DEBIAN_FRONTEND=text
[...]
> kbd-chooser[881]: ERROR **: Couldn't get a file descriptor referring to
> the console
> main-menu[670]: WARNING **: Configuring 'kbd-chooser' failed with error
> code 1

That seems to make fairly clear why kbd-chooser is failing...

> vmlinuz-2.6.25-1-xen-686 console=hvc0 suite=etch DEBIAN_FRONTEND=text:

And apparently here kbd-chooser _can_ find a file descriptor for the
console.

> >> So let me raise the issue again (and risk some bikeshed effect):
> >>  * Does kbd-chooser make any sense under Xen?  (I guess not.)
> >
> > That's completely up to you (plural).
> >
> >>  * Should we skip running it from a virtualized D-I?  (I guess yes,
> >>    especially that it's so simple to achieve.)
> >
> > What is the difference with the previous point?
>
> Maybe sparing a question isn't worth this special-casing.  That's a
> policy question, not a technical one.

If I understand you correctly: no, we do not want to add a question for
this.

> >>  * Would a simple [ -d /sys/bus/xen ] check do?
> >
> > I guess that would be OK. Unless a different test could also catch
> > other virtualized environments.
>
> Unfortunately I don't know anything about other virtualization
> environments.
>
> > I'd suggest at least printing an info message in the syslog when that
> > happens.
> >
> >From kbd-chooser.isinstallable?  That would be easy.

No. isinstallable is IMO not the correct place to solve this. See below.

On Thursday 08 May 2008, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> Yes, testing for functionality would be much better.  Like skipping
> kbd-chooser if there's no keyboard attached.  Is serial installation
> handled by checking the kernel command line?

I suggest someone starts looking at the kbd-chooser code...
For serial console the relevant parts are kbd-chooser.c from line 534 down.
Both UML and serial console are already being detected there. Seems to me
that it should be possible to handle Xen in the same or a similar way.

When testing based on hvc0 you should be aware that is also used by PowerPC
systems.

Bottom line: please implement something that fits _within_ the existing
structure of kbd-chooser. Don't add hacks.

Cheers,
FJP