Re: Plurar and Singular

On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 01:04:17PM +0100, Nikolai Prokoschenko wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 08:04:24PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > -- assume that ${PACKAGE_COUNT} falls into the largest plural category
> >    the language has, because I don't know of a language where this
> >    wouldn't be the case given the number of packages in Debian

> Not quite. For example, in the russian language, the form is based on the
> last digit, that means that 12341 is singular and 12345 is plural. So it
> IS a problem for many.

Ah, interesting.  I'd never heard of this. :)  So you're right, it would
be a problem.

> Have I understood you right, that debian-installer is not able to support
> ngettext, or is it usable, but not practical?

I assumed that it would be too complex to try to use ngettext from
debconf-based shell scripts, because I don't think there's any
supporting code for this.  But maybe support from the shell isn't needed
-- I'm not sure if Joey's comments are addressed at this particular
msgid, or at something else?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer