Plurar and Singular

Hello!

Just noticed that base-config.pot became updated and I wish to clarify one
point. It now says:

The Debian package management tool, apt, is now configured, and can
install any of ${PACKAGE_COUNT} packages.

I.e. $PACKAGE_COUNT has not been there before. The consequence is that the
translators have to rephrase this because of different grammatical forms
of "packages" depending on the PACKAGE_COUNT. So in most cases something
like "Seconds left: 10" has to be introduced into the translation, which
doesn't make it more user-friendly, IMHO.

My question is: how do I handle this? Is there any policy for the English
"translators" not to include such lines? Can I get gettext to handle
several cases, some kind of an if-Statement, which would also be supported
by d-i interna?

Thank you.

PS: I am not ranting, I just don't see a solution.

--
Nikolai Prokoschenko
nikolai@prokoschenko.de / Jabber: pronik@jabber.org