Re: [vague discussion] woody boot-floppies plans

On 8 Feb 2000, Ben Pfaff wrote:

> Bruce Sass <bsass@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca> writes:
>
> > > What exactly *do* we want from the GUI interface, or from the
> > > boot floppies interface in general?  (If you stated this
> > > somewhere else in the thread just point me to the message.)
> >
> > Something to ease the minds of users who are scared to touch the
> > keyboard.  A simple interface to all the available options. ???
>
> Right, that's a given.  But what does this actually entail beyond
> GUI'fication of the current interface?

Just translating the whiptail dialogs into GUI dialogs and adding
backdrops would look nice, but it would really just be adding complexity
to the existing installation system (or, preferably, the system outlined
by Joey H. (message ID:  [🔎] 20000207174538.E25437@kitenet.net)) without
gaining much.  I guess that's what you are getting at, eh.

Hmmm, I suppose the biggest change should be getting away from an
installation with a linear feel to it.

Now, lets say, if you could click on a button that brought up a dialog
containing checkboxes for all the setable options (kernel, mbr, system,
dbootstrap, etc.), then click on an install button... and get hit with
a sequence of dialogs that prompt you for partitioning info,
distribution source, etc. (whatever was not or could not be set ahead
of time in the main config dialog).

So, instead of the existing: do a step, check the system, do another
step, check the system, etc.  It would be: define the system the user
wants to end up with, prompt to resolve problems (missing bits, config
conflicts, etc.), start installing.

later,

	Bruce