password ranting

I would just like to be able to use a password that I could remember.
The problem with passwords (IMO) is that the system forces people to use
passwords that are too complex and this leads to one of two even worse
problems; people either use the same password over and over or they are
forced to write down their password.

A while back, I purchased used keyboards from somewhere in the
government where there were security issues; some of the keyboards had
stickers on them with user ID's and passwords, other keyboards had had
these torn-off.  Being the nice guy that I am, I asked a friend in that
department about this and provided a list of user ID's and passwords;
most were still active.  Apparently, this was the reccomended method for
"remembering" their passwords.  My only hope is that they have changed
this policy and their passwords.

The bottom line is, any password that a human can remember is a bad
password and any password that a human must write-down to remember is
just as bad.  For my critical systems, I use a card reader and a simple
password; I can remember the password and I always remember the card.
The next best thing would be a retinal scanner ;-)