Re: etch --> lenny upgrade report on Alpha platform

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 05:23:17PM +1300, Michael Cree wrote:
> On 17/10/2008, at 3:56 PM, Bob Tracy wrote:
> >Trying to roll my own "firefox 3" has been educational to say the
> >least.
>
> Yeah, I also tried to compile firefox from source, and after noting
> the completely non-standard build, the confusing options in the
> configure script, and the lack of installation instructions, my
> reaction was WTF and gave up.
>
> I've also tried to build GNU icecat, the FSF's modified firefox.  I
> think it links xulrunner statically, and after making a couple of
> changes to the Makefiles (to correctly include some Alpha specific
> code since it misdetected my Alpha, and to turn off -Werror on a
> module so that compilation can continue) it fails on the final linking
> stage with gprel errors, and that some library has objects that it
> can't relocate or something (I'm working off memory here).
>
> Looking at the Alpha compiler options in the gcc manual I see there is
> mention of "small data area" where data are accessed via 16-bit
> references from the $gp register.  So I tried inserting -mlarge-data
> options to the compilation in the hope it might fix it, but still got
> the relocation errors at linking.  I understand what "16-bit relative
> addressing" means, but I don't really understand (from the gcc manual)
> what the options to modify compilation to use different data
> referencing schemes are really doing, and what one can do to avoid
> getting gprel relocation errors (my reading of the gcc manual
> suggested that -mlarge-data should've worked).

Thanks for the *very* large clue as to what's going on.  A quick search
of bug reports led me to try adding "-Wl,--no-relax" to DSO_LDOPTS in
mozilla/firefox_obj/config/autoconf.mk.  The libxul.so build now
succeeds!  Here's the unfortunate part: the GNU ld "relax" bug was
observed and reported back in 2007...  I don't have the link handy,
but Google found it pretty quickly when I searched for the relocation
error string.

If I get a working firefox-3.0.3 out of all this, debian-alpha will be
the first to know about it...

Bob Tracy          |  "I was a beta tester for dirt.  They never did
rct@frus.com       |   get all the bugs out." - Steve McGrew on /.