Re: etch --> lenny upgrade report on Alpha platform

On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 12:38:57AM -0500, Bob Tracy wrote:
> Thanks for the *very* large clue as to what's going on.  A quick search
> of bug reports led me to try adding "-Wl,--no-relax" to DSO_LDOPTS in
> mozilla/firefox_obj/config/autoconf.mk.  The libxul.so build now
> succeeds!  Here's the unfortunate part: the GNU ld "relax" bug was
> observed and reported back in 2007...  I don't have the link handy,
> but Google found it pretty quickly when I searched for the relocation
> error string.
>
> If I get a working firefox-3.0.3 out of all this, debian-alpha will be
> the first to know about it...

Close, but no cigar :-(.  I'm getting a segmentation fault shortly after
the browser window opens with the expected two tabs (home page, and the
"you've upgraded" page).  The segfault occurs while the two pages are
builds are suffering from the same problem, so we might reasonably
expect that the Alpha build will work when the 64-bit x86 build works.

Here are the mods (so far) to get the mozilla.org firefox-3.0.3 source
to build on an Alpha:

(1) netwerk/cookie/src/Makefile.in
        Commented-out "CXXFLAGS += $(WARNINGS_AS_ERRORS)".  No way we
	can leave "-Werror" enabled with gcc/g++-4.x on an Alpha :-(.

(2) xpcom/reflect/xptcall/src/md/unix/Makefile.in
        Under the "Linux/alpha" section, added "Linuxalphaev56" to the
        filter statement.  "Linuxalpha" will not match the PWS 433au.

(3) firefox_obj/config/autoconf.mk
        Added "-Wl,--no-relax" to DSO_LDOPTS.  There's an outstanding bug
	in the GNU ld "relax" code from 2007 that causes the "libxul.so"
	build to fail.

Item (3) is the only mod that's made to a generated file.  There's probably
a way to fix DSO_LDOPTS prior to generating the "autoconf.mk" file, but I
couldn't find it.  So the build procedure is something like

(a) apply mods (1) and (2).
(b) run "gmake -f client.mk build".
(c) after the build is well under way, but before it gets to "libxul.so",
    apply mod (3).

Bob Tracy          |  "I was a beta tester for dirt.  They never did
rct@frus.com       |   get all the bugs out." - Steve McGrew on /.