Re: etch --> lenny upgrade report on Alpha platform

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 11:19:17AM +1300, Michael Cree wrote:
> I see Debian hal bug #368863
> (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=368863 ) is still open.
> I will send a message to the bug tracker later today  to advise the hal
> maintainers that hal unaligned trap is fixed and  that the remaining traps
> are due to libdbus-1.
>
> I have searched the Debian bug database for package dbus and there is
> no bug logged for unaligned traps.  Later today I will log a bug
> report on the dbus package and upload Jay's patch.

Thanks.  I've been a slug and haven't gotten around to doing much with
my Alpha other than cursing my inability to get firefox-3.0.3 to build.
The journey started when I wanted to try building firefox-3.x, and
discovered I needed to upgrade from etch to lenny to get the necessary
library versions to even attempt a build.  The good news is, gcc/g++-4.2.4
and the associated binutils will probably get the job done at some
point, whereas I had to use gcc/g++-3.3 back in the firefox-2.0.0.13
timeframe: the 4.x compilers were badly confused by the mess that is
the mozilla source tree.  The bad news is, I can't get past the link
step that builds libxul.so, regardless of which compiler version I use.

Someone asked me why I don't try "iceweasel".  I have...  Version
3.0.1-1 bombs consistently with an illegal instruction, even if all
plugins are disabled and my ".mozilla" directory is moved out of the
way.  I thought I might try looking at the iceweasel source package
to see how Debian got around the libxul.so issue, and the answer seems
to be "use xulrunner-dev".  I might try that in a few days, but I've
got a 2.6.27-final kernel build to do first :-).

Bob Tracy          |  "I was a beta tester for dirt.  They never did
rct@frus.com       |   get all the bugs out." - Steve McGrew on /.