Re: etch --> lenny upgrade report on Alpha platform

On 5/10/2008, at 6:50 PM, Michael Cree wrote:
Jay Estabrook wrote:
> OK, here are the patches I mentioned, plus one. You may already
> have some, or may not need some, but for completeness:
>
> 1. dbus-alpha-unaligned.patch
>      force gcc to generate proper code; it normally assumes
>      structures are aligned.
> 2. hal-0.5.10-cache-alignment.patch
>      force proper alignment of elements larger than 32 bits

Has anyone tried these patches? I managed to apply the dbus patch to debian dbus-1.2.1-3 and dbus's unaligned trap verbiage has been tamed. Nice. But hald has decided, presumably because of the silence due to dbus's absence:-/, to let fly with tons of unaligned trap messages. But I can't the hal patch to apply cleanly to debian hal 0.5.11-3.

Just to let people know, with some guidance from Jay, I have tracked down the problem. Being new to using the Debian package build system I didn't realise that it placed the libdbus-1 shared library into a different package than dbus, and so when I installed my patched dbus package, it updated dbus-daemon, but not libdbus-1.so. The UAAs from hal are due to the libdbus-1 library, and the patch dbus-alpha- unaligned.patch fixes not only dbus-daemon, but a number of programs including hal. The patch hal-0.5.10-cache-alignment.patch is not needed on the Debian supplied hal, as a fix is already included.

I see Debian hal bug #368863 (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=368863 ) is still open. I will send a message to the bug tracker later today to advise the hal maintainers that hal unaligned trap is fixed and that the remaining traps are due to libdbus-1.

I have searched the Debian bug database for package dbus and there is no bug logged for unaligned traps. Later today I will log a bug report on the dbus package and upload Jay's patch.

Cheer
Michael.