Re: Rookie questions

Alle 01:13, martedì 4 novembre 2003, Mark Abreu ha scritto:
> I've got a Alpha Personal Workstation 500a with a 18GB drive and over
> 300mb of memory (I don't remember the exact total at the moment).

I installed Debian woody on a Alpha Personal Workstation 500au with 2G HD, so
I used no particular partitioning methods.

> I've been practicing the installation of Debian "woody" on this box
> and think I've got to the point where I have some questions.
>
> First, here's my goal.  I'd like to end up with a system where I can
> check my email, read newsgroups, and run a simple web server.
>
> I'm not sure how I should be partitioning this disk.  My "gut" tells
> me I need something like a 200mb partition for /boot, another 700mb
> partition for swap, and at least one other partition for everything
> else.  So far I've been calling them a, b and c.  Is there a better
> rule of thumb on this point?  I end up with the 200mb partition be
> mounted as / and the large partition as /usr, but I'm not sure this
> is what I want.
>
> I get through the install using CD #1 and reboot the box.  I
> eventually get to dselect where I select "desktop" and "games".  I
> used the us debian FTP site and CD #1 during this process (I guess).
> All appears to go ok until it's finished and I boot.  I expect some
> kind of X display and pray for KDE but the Xserver apparently won't
> start because I get an error message.

In dselect you have to choose X windows too, it is the first item. The
problems I encountered was with the Xfree86 driver, after some test I
discovered that the rigth driver was "glint", my workstation has a glory
synergy video card, , and if I remember well you have not to choose the
frame-buffering mode.

A 100% compatible soundblaster is present and has been installed using the
"kernel module installer"

> So right now I'm going to log in and run dselect again.  This time
> I'm going to try to get all the KDE stuff, but this is a little
> frustrating.
>
> Again, is there some secret trick to getting this done right the
> first time without having to guess so much at what the process should
> be?

Roberto Bernetti                             e-mail: bernetti@inwind.it
V. S.da Vecchia del Pinocchio 1/A
60131 ANCONA