Rookie questions

I've got a Alpha Personal Workstation 500a with a 18GB drive and over
300mb of memory (I don't remember the exact total at the moment).
I've been practicing the installation of Debian "woody" on this box
and think I've got to the point where I have some questions.

First, here's my goal.  I'd like to end up with a system where I can
check my email, read newsgroups, and run a simple web server.

I'm not sure how I should be partitioning this disk.  My "gut" tells
me I need something like a 200mb partition for /boot, another 700mb
partition for swap, and at least one other partition for everything
else.  So far I've been calling them a, b and c.  Is there a better
rule of thumb on this point?  I end up with the 200mb partition be
mounted as / and the large partition as /usr, but I'm not sure this
is what I want.

I get through the install using CD #1 and reboot the box.  I
eventually get to dselect where I select "desktop" and "games".  I
used the us debian FTP site and CD #1 during this process (I guess).
All appears to go ok until it's finished and I boot.  I expect some
kind of X display and pray for KDE but the Xserver apparently won't
start because I get an error message.

So right now I'm going to log in and run dselect again.  This time
I'm going to try to get all the KDE stuff, but this is a little
frustrating.

Again, is there some secret trick to getting this done right the
first time without having to guess so much at what the process should
be?