Proposal for V 2.0

Greetings:

I've finished by OO book! Now I want to spend some time upgrading
V, probably to the point of calling it 2.0. I have a few specific things
I know I want to and can add, and would like comments about possible
other things. However, I really don't want MAJOR changes. I'd like to
minimize changes that might be needed for existing code, but some
are likely since I plan to change some C++ stuff. Here's my preliminary
working list:

1. FIRST, get the Gnome/gtk version working completely, and switch
    to it as the primary X (Linux, BSD, Solaris) GUI tool kit. I will probably
    completely abandon Athena, and may abandon Motif. This will be
     released, but not as 2.0.

then, add features:

2. A split pane command window that can hold at least two canvases,
    either horizontally or vertically. Perhaps (and I have to know more about
    what support is available from gtk and Windows) it could have multiple
     horizontal and vertical splits.

3. Better plain windows - no menu, no tool bar, no status line.

4. A control canvas - add any of the standard dialog controls to a
    canvas pane.

5. Easier dialog only apps.

6. A drawing canvas for dialogs.

7. A tree control. (maybe a tree canvas)

8. Maybe a tabbed command window that can hold a canvas (or split pane)
    per tab. This one may be too hard in the amount of time I have available.

9. An HTML canvas pane IF I can find an easy to use opensource solution.

10. Upgrade C++ to new language features, e.g., namespace stuff. This
      might require changes to existing code, but might be done with an
      automatic conversion tool.

Comments?

Bruce E. Wampler, Ph.D.

Author of the V C++ GUI Framework