Build V1.20 with mingw32 fails!

I've installed mingw32-980105 (gcc2.8.*) and V1.20 on a local win95 client.
The compiler works fine, but the build of V++ stops at several files
(vapp.c, vtexted.c, ...)!

The compiler reports a "implicit redeclaration" of some of the string
functions (strstr, strchr,strtok). It tells me, that it isn't allowed to
assign an int to an char*. I don't know why, but mingw32 reports a
(implicit) prototype that returns int instead of char*.

As a work-around, I've copied the declarations of the "bad fuctions" from
string.h into all necessary files. But this don't work! Instead of this, I
have to force the right type by inserting a typecast ( (char*)strtok ).
This doesn't look good, but now mingw32 is able to build the library.

The resulting exe-files are all running fine.

Why does mingw32 reports a "implicit redeclaration" of these few
string-fuctions?

Another problem is, that "rm -f libV.a" failes with a "file not found". I
have to remove this line from the makefile. Why ?

At least, mingw32 is really slow. My emx-gcc (2.7.*) is running as fast as
borland-c compared to mingw32. Is this caused by the newer release of the
gcc (2.8.x - 2.7.x)? Or is Win95 so much slower than OS/2?

Is cygwin32 the better choose?

Mfg,  J. Desch
--
Voelker Video- und Datentechnik