RE: question on some test results

At 2002/7/23 05:15-0700  Wichmann, Mats D writes:

> > > mproctect 17 on ia64 fails,  because by default non-text
> > > pages are not executable on Itanium.  I can supply an
> > > incantation that is run on the test binary which should
> > > change this, but I'm not sure that's the right approach.
> > > Does the spec actually require executable data or stack
> > > pages?
> >

> > There is no mprotect 17 test - do you mean testcase 4?
>
> Yes, I do.  Sorry.

Ok. This is the assertion associated with the test thats failing:

               A successful call to mprotect() when prot has  the
               PROT_EXEC flag set shall change the access protec-
               tions for the range [addr,addr+len] to  allow  the
               page(s)   to   be   executed  and  return  0.   If
               _POSIX_MEMORY_PROTECTION is defined or the  imple-
               mentation  supports  the  mprotect()  function  as
               described in System Interfaces and Headers,  Issue
               5:

The mprotect call is passed the PROT_EXEC flag which is meant to
change the access protection for the page such that it is executable.

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xsh/mprotect.html
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/basedefs/sys/mman.h.html

mprotect is returning sucessfully. The test to see if the page is
excutable is failing.

I'm pretty certain the behaviour we're seeing is a kernel bug. Just
playing around with the test a bit if the PROT_READ flag is also
passed to the mprotect call, then the testcase passes.

Regards,

Chris
--
cyeoh@au.ibm.com