Re: 'DEM ', 'FRF ' no longer valid in int_curr_symbol

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 05:27:50PM +0000, Andrew Josey wrote:
> I raised the issue of euro support with the POSIX 1003.1
> committee this morning, and we will ensure it gets sorted in TC1.
>
> However, this does not change the fact that making applications
> obsolete that use historical currency symbols, such as those superseded
> by the Euro seems naive at best.  Also many of the central banks plan to
> continue to accept the old currencies especially DEM for the foreseeable
> future -- does glibc want to exclude itself from these markets?:-)

The only place that the iso-4217 table is used is in localedef.
Applications will still be handling monetary symbols as they always
have, it has nothing to do with a locale.  The locale data as shipped
should reflect Real Life as closely as possible at the time of
shipping, and provided as updates (patches) as time goes on, IMHO.

All this prevents us from doing is something like de_DE@deutschmark
locale which has a default int_curr_symbol as 'DEM '.  Were would this
be useful?

Cheers,

Matt