Re: PROPOSAL for FHS revised : Mount points for CDs, floppies and alien OS partitions.]

"Greg Wright" <greg@ausit.com> writes:

> FWIW as i know this has been going round and round for a bit, if we all
> remember back as newcomers to Linux, these schemes are quite cryptic, why
> there is /mnt instead of, /mount is very confusing and not self
> explanitory.

It's /mnt because BSD did it that way and we ary trying to maintain
consistency.  It's a very long-standing convention, and fsstnd has no
place changing well agreed-upon existing standards and conventions.

> Seeing all this discussion in the end is to make things probably easier for
> newcomers, it *needs* to be somewhat self explanitory, if what we have in
> place today is all over the shop, lets make a standard that make some
> sense, at least in English (I cannot speak for other languages)

If we were in the business of designing systems, this might be
reasonable to consider.  As we are not, we need to worry about this.

Users should always type `mount' to see where their new device
popped up.  desktop file managers should do the programmatic
equivalent.  This is the correct answer for all automounted things on
Unix systems.

Given that there is no clear consensus on the Right Thing for names,
we should simply define no standard.  Portable programs won't be able
to assume our standard even if we make one, and we do nobody a favor
by trying to preempt the designers in designing the system.