Re: PROPOSAL for FHS revised : Mount points for CDs, floppies and alien OS partitions.]

On 29/06/00 at 12:05 Thorsten Kukuk wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 29, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
>
>> Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

>> > Debian uses /floppy and /cdrom, so /mnt is left alone. I have used it
for
>> > several years, placing subdirectories within /mnt on which I mount the
>> > other partitions I add to root. These are permanent mounts set up in
>> > fstab, and I have never had any other software try to remount them, or
>> > overmount something on /mnt.
>>
>> Yes.  This contradict what I said.  Debian uses subdirectories of /.
>> Red Hat and Solaris and Irix use subdirectories of /mnt.  I have no
>
>This is wrong. Red Hat uses /mnt. Solaris 7 has /cdrom and uses /vol
>for the volume manager. I'm not sure about Irix, but as far as I know
>they also don't use subdirectories in /mnt.

FWIW as i know this has been going round and round for a bit, if we all
remember back as newcomers to Linux, these schemes are quite cryptic, why
there is /mnt instead of, /mount is very confusing and not self
explanitory.

Seeing all this discussion in the end is to make things probably easier for
newcomers, it *needs* to be somewhat self explanitory, if what we have in
place today is all over the shop, lets make a standard that make some
sense, at least in English (I cannot speak for other languages)

/cdrom     for the first CD player etc

/cdrom2    numbering as required for extra devices

/floppy   for first floppy device (whose days must be numbered)

/vol      makes sense somewhat because is in line with a lot of OS's , the
numbering pattern could be the same here or start straight at 1

etc etc

for NFS it could be  /net   , in the vol and net uses it may possibly be
better to number them straight up, because if using them are more likely to
have more than one, and you are possibly way past the newcomer stage where
mounting a CD rom is a chore and learning experience.

Now, if its not to make life as a newbie easier, then any darned format
would do ! pull the available options from a hat :-)

Regards

Greg Wright
--

IT Consultant Sydney Australia     PH 0418 292020
Available for Global Contracts   Int. +61 418 292020