Re: PROPOSAL for FHS revised : Mount points for CDs, floppies and a lien OS partitions.]

On 28 Jun 2000, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:

> /misc has the disadvantage of having nothing to do with what any
> existing system uses.
>
> All of the ones I know either directly mount on subdirs of /, or mount
> on subdirs of /mnt.

Debian uses /floppy and /cdrom, so /mnt is left alone. I have used it for
several years, placing subdirectories within /mnt on which I mount the
other partitions I add to root. These are permanent mounts set up in
fstab, and I have never had any other software try to remount them, or
overmount something on /mnt.

Just a thought, but wouldn't a subdirectory in /var be more in the spirit
of a temporary/variable mount point? This would leave /mnt and friends to
the whim of distros and sys admins, while providing a "spec"able area for
upstream software vendors to use. (dselect has its mountpoint for CDs down
in /var somewhere, for instance)

Luck,

Dwarf