Re: PROPOSAL for FHS: Mount points for CDs, floppies and alien OS partitions.

Johannes Poehlmann writes:

> There are configurations, where it is not desirable to have these
> mount points located in the root directory. When using the auto
> mounter, the root directory can be "taken over" and be blocked. This
> makes it desirable to put the mount points into a subdirectory.

This is good for the rationale section.  Are there any other reasons?

> There may be a new subdirectory "/mnt.d". It may contain subdirectories
> which are mount points for removable media like floppy disk, cdrom
> or DVD drives. Also may there be subdirectories which are mount points
> for non linux partitions.

Nice idea.

One complaint we might hear is that the name "/mnt.d" will "interfere"
with tab-key shell completion.  Then again, my desktop has both /mnt and
/mnt2 and I never noticed, so it's probably not that big of an issue.

The proposal should define the namespace inside of /mnt.d.

Other possible names:

  /mounts
  /media
  /vol    (not a good name: conflicting practice, confusion w/ volume manager)

Another possibility is to use something like the Sun two-level hierarchy
and not automount on the top-level directory.  Use /floppy/fd0.

Finally, we need to consider whether mount points sit directly under

- Dan