Re: PROPOSAL for FHS: Mount points for CDs, floppies and alien OS partitions.

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Daniel Quinlan wrote:

> Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 02:26:09 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Daniel Quinlan <quinlan@transmeta.com>
> To: Johannes Poehlmann <johannes@caldera.de>
> Cc: lsb-spec@lists.linuxbase.org, fhs-discuss@ucsd.edu
> Subject: Re: PROPOSAL for FHS: Mount points for CDs,
     floppies and alien OS partitions.

> Johannes Poehlmann writes:
>
> > There are configurations, where it is not desirable to have these
> > mount points located in the root directory. When using the auto
> > mounter, the root directory can be "taken over" and be blocked. This
> > makes it desirable to put the mount points into a subdirectory.
>
> This is good for the rationale section.  Are there any other reasons?
applications like fdmount and so on,
they should
all refer to the same directories, not to ingenerate confusion,
like now,
fdmount uses /fd0, but RH uses /mnt/floppy.
 and so on...

> > There may be a new subdirectory "/mnt.d". It may contain subdirectories
> > which are mount points for removable media like floppy disk, cdrom
> > or DVD drives. Also may there be subdirectories which are mount points
> > for non linux partitions.
>
> Nice idea.
>
> One complaint we might hear is that the name "/mnt.d" will "interfere"
> with tab-key shell completion.  Then again, my desktop has both /mnt and
> /mnt2 and I never noticed, so it's probably not that big of an issue.
>
> The proposal should define the namespace inside of /mnt.d.
>
> Other possible names:
>
>   /mounts
>   /media
>   /vol    (not a good name: conflicting practice, confusion w/ volume manager)
>
> Another possibility is to use something like the Sun two-level hierarchy
> and not automount on the top-level directory.  Use /floppy/fd0.
i would propose.
/mnt.d/fd0 with /fd0 as symlink
/mnt.d/fd1 with /fd1 as symlink
/mnt.d/cd0 with /cdrom as symlink
/mnt.d/cd1 winth /cdrom1 as symlink
/mnt/zip with /zip /as symlink (iomega zip)

and so on for other periferics i am forgetting,
the ssymlinks should be created at boot, just if
the device is really present on the machine.
(this works well with the logic of devfs)

> Finally, we need to consider whether mount points sit directly under
>
> - Dan
>

> --

Luigi