Re: init file questions

The language of `reload' and `force-reload' bothers me a bit.  There
must be a better way of distinguishing between the actions, especially
if `force-reload' is required (and hence is more likely to be used) and
`reload' is not (and hence less likely).

How about the following instead:

  soft-reload => cause the service to reread its configuration iff
                 supported (same as `reload' above)

  reload      => cause the service to perform `refresh' above if it's
                 supported, otherwise perform `restart' (same as
                 `force-reload' above).

--jim

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% jim knoble %%%%%%%% jmknoble@pobox.com %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

På 1999-Jun-21 klokka 19:14:53 -0700 skrivet Daniel Quinlan:

: A few open questions:

  [...]

: And force-reload still bothers me a bit...  Is there someone from
: Debian who remembers the original rationale for it?