init file questions

A few open questions:

What shell command "functions" should be provided (actually, the
Debian start-stop-daemon command could be one of these)?

Whether codes from /usr/include/sysexits.h should be used for some or
all of the exit codes.

When should we require or recommend some form of output or errors
display?  People running init files on the command line don't always
look for the exit value -- some form of output should be expected.
(And this is perhaps best handled in the shell command functions.)

And force-reload still bothers me a bit...  Is there someone from
Debian who remembers the original rationale for it?

- Dan