Re: /usr/share/man

On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Sean Channel wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Dec 1999, Jim Kingdon wrote:
>
> ]As people who were in New York will recall, we (very) briefly
> ]discussed the subject of /usr/share/man on Friday.  I asked Cristian
> ]about this today; he said that he had no desire to switch from
> ]/usr/man to /usr/share/man (if I understood him correctly the
> ]rationale was that Unix has used /usr/man since time immemorial and
> ]although there is a certain logic to /usr/share/man there isn't a
> ]compelling reason to switch).
>
> I more often see /usr/man as a symbolic link to /usr/share/man
> for backward compatability.  I've also noticed more and more
> applications using /usr/share for common files.  Personally,
> I would vote for /usr/share/man, but I don't think it matters
> much.

We have gone to a lot of trouble to make the change from /usr/man to
/usr/share/man because we agree with this move. We do believe that the
symbolic link from /usr/man to /usr/share/man is a necessity for backwards
compatibility.

I hope that this issue can be resolved in favour of the /usr/share/man
decision but at the end of the day this is not a major issue.

- John H Terpstra