Re: Source packages?

The idea of a build options database is not to provide a way of letting
packages auto install, it's a way of making sure that if I get a new source
package I install it using the same options thus preventing me breaking things
because I forgot to include an option such as --with-mhash with php.

It will also be useful when installing packages for checking that something
has been configured with suitable options.  For example KDE requires that mico
is configured with the --disable-mini-stl option.  With a configure options
database I can check that this is the case, and if it's not then fail to
install the KDE package.

James

--
Summer's nearly over now, and university calls! For private emails
please start using jd5477@bristol.ac.uk or jkd@netcomuk.co.uk

James Dingwall                            SLS Information Systems Ltd
james.dingwall@iii-europe.com                            3 York Court
http://www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~jd5477/                   Upper York Street
                                                              Bristol
Pager: +44 7654 320 827                                       BS2 8QF
                                           http://www.iii-europe.com/