Re: architecture names (i386-linux, etc.)

On Wed, 1 Sep 1999, Daniel Quinlan wrote:

> On the other issue, it might be helpful if there was some sort of
> standard for x86 architecture names.
>
> Does "i686-linux" mean "only runs on a Pentium Pro or above" or does
> "i686-linux" mean optimized for Pentium Pro, but still runs on i386?
> I thought it meant the former, not the latter.  Unfortunately, a some
> number of packages just assign the number according to the system the
> package was compiled on, not the target system.

And how does "athalon-linux" fit into this?

Erik

|       "For the next two hours, VH1 will be filled with foul-mouthed,        |
|          crossdressing Australians. Viewer discretion is advised."          |
|   Linux Application Development  --  http://www.redhat.com/~johnsonm/lad    |