Re: architecture names (i386-linux, etc.)

> On the other issue, it might be helpful if there was some sort of
> standard for x86 architecture names.
>
> Does "i686-linux" mean "only runs on a Pentium Pro or above" or does
> "i686-linux" mean optimized for Pentium Pro, but still runs on i386?
> I thought it meant the former, not the latter.  Unfortunately, a some
> number of packages just assign the number according to the system the
> package was compiled on, not the target system.

Lets follow the intel recommendations. We then have

	i386	- 	all cpus
	i486	-	requires i486 or higher (uses bswap)

People following the rules and writing correct applications will not
have a problem with just the two types. Intel AMD and Cyrix all tell people
to use CPUID to check the mmx/3dnow!/kni/etc facilities are present and
software fallback.

We should mandate compliant packages do this. We should not mandate what a
package is optimised for either IMHO, but what it runs on. "Recommended CPU"
is a marketing issue not a standards one.

Alan