Re: architecture names (i386-linux, etc.)

> > Does "i686-linux" mean "only runs on a Pentium Pro or above" or does
> > "i686-linux" mean optimized for Pentium Pro, but still runs on i386?
> > I thought it meant the former, not the latter.  Unfortunately, a some
> > number of packages just assign the number according to the system the
> > package was compiled on, not the target system.
>
> And how does "athalon-linux" fit into this?

I belive as x86-typo  8). Athlon fits the same as all the 486+ stuff.
Thou shalt use CPUID. Using MMX without checking for it gets you spanked.

Perhaps we should explicitly require an LSB compliant application must also
terminate neatly with an appropriate error message if it finds a CPU
it cannot handle