Re: Anyone working on the rc.d installer problem?

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

>    > # BEGIN RCINSTALLINFO
>    > # runlevels = 2 3 4 5
>    > # start = after network
>    > # stop = after lpd
>    > # END RCINSTALLINFO
>
>    Red Hat does some of this for chkconfig already, and it would be nice to
>    preserve that.
>
> True, but the way it is done isn't particularly abstract.  It uses pure
> numbers for everything, instead of abstract names of the location points
> and the run levels.

I'm not doubting the need for enhancements.

> Well, if the shell script is like this, it has all of the advantages of
> the approach you were describing while still being extensible if more
> customization is necesary:
>
> binary=/usr/sbin/inetd
> pidfile=/var/lib/inetd.pid
> killmethod=TERM
>
> . /lib/rc.stdprog

That's exactly what we're thinking of. We also want to abstract the logging to
something other then echo for added flexibility.

Erik

|       "For the next two hours, VH1 will be filled with foul-mouthed,        |
|          crossdressing Australians. Viewer discretion is advised."          |
|   Linux Application Development  --  http://www.redhat.com/~johnsonm/lad    |