Re: build environment

On Thu, Aug 09, 2001 at 08:12:20PM +1000, Christopher Yeoh wrote:

> On the subject of the runtime environment, apart from what I sent last
> time (installation fixes (now fixed in CVS - thanks!) and note about
> missing commands/utilities) I don't have much more to say.

Lets se when i find the time to add theses packages.
I will start with shadow, fileutils, sh-utils.

> I didn't have any portability problems installing it on a Debian
> system. It does produce quite a few warnings like:

> warning: user johannes does not exist - using root

Will correct that when I touch it next time.

> Program Revision: 1.0
>
> Checking symbols in /lib/lsb/libc.so.6
>   Didn't find fgetwc (unversioned) in libc.so.6
>     fgetwc has version GLIBC_2.2, expecting unversioned
What do you think of this kind of errors ? We did not change
much in the glibc upstream sources.

> > I.e whats missing, what are the first steps to go etc ?

> I think adding more of the necessary commands and utilites would be
> useful as it would enable the installation of (potentially) LSB
> compliant packages. Currently there is not enough there to say install
> the test suites (though more than the LSB will be required for these,
> they will be very useful in testing the runtime environment itself).

> As for the build environment (or xdevel in the impl module goes) there
> didn't seem to be enough there yet to do much at all.
Yes, this time it just saves you the trouble of changing makefiles
to get the -Wl,--dynamic-linker switch. It is used on the machine,
where the runtime is built.

> I notice that there are some stub libraries in /usr/lib/lsb-stub - do
> you already have a program to autogenerate them from the sql lsb
> database?  This is basically where I have started working on improving
> the build/xdevel environment.
I just took them form the LSB CVS tree.

We should offer them the way other upstram sources are offered:
In a tarball and with a versioned name.

--
    /  ___/__/  /                 Caldera (Deutschland) GmbH