Re: build environment

Hi Johannes,

Johannes Poehlmann writes:
> Chris, you seem to have looked at the impl module in CVS.
>
> Could you please send some comments/feedback ?

On the subject of the runtime environment, apart from what I sent last
time (installation fixes (now fixed in CVS - thanks!) and note about
missing commands/utilities) I don't have much more to say.

I didn't have any portability problems installing it on a Debian
system. It does produce quite a few warnings like:

warning: user johannes does not exist - using root
warning: group lstcore does not exist - using root

when installing the rpms. Perhaps packaging all the files to be owned
by root would be better - there are so many warnings the real
installation messages tend to get lost. I just thought to run libchk
(had to patch it to look in /usr/lib/lsb and /lib/lsb) in it and got
the following results:

Program Revision: 1.0

Checking symbols in /lib/ld-lsb.so.1
Checking symbols in /usr/lib/lsb/libGL.so.1
Checking symbols in /usr/lib/lsb/libICE.so.6
Checking symbols in /usr/lib/lsb/libSM.so.6
Checking symbols in /usr/lib/lsb/libX11.so.6
Checking symbols in /usr/lib/lsb/libXext.so.6
Checking symbols in /usr/lib/lsb/libXt.so.6
Checking symbols in /lib/lsb/libc.so.6
  Didn't find fgetwc (unversioned) in libc.so.6
    fgetwc has version GLIBC_2.2, expecting unversioned
  Didn't find fgetwc_unlocked (unversioned) in libc.so.6
    fgetwc_unlocked has version GLIBC_2.2, expecting unversioned
  Didn't find fnmatch (GLIBC_2.2.3) in libc.so.6
    fnmatch has version GLIBC_2.0, expecting GLIBC_2.2.3
  Didn't find getwc (unversioned) in libc.so.6
    getwc has version GLIBC_2.2, expecting unversioned
  Didn't find posix_memalign (unversioned) in libc.so.6
    posix_memalign has version GLIBC_2.2, expecting unversioned
  Didn't find vfwscanf (unversioned) in libc.so.6
    vfwscanf has version GLIBC_2.2, expecting unversioned
Checking symbols in /lib/lsb/libcrypt.so.1
Checking symbols in /lib/lsb/libdl.so.2
Checking symbols in /lib/lsb/libm.so.6
Checking symbols in /lib/libncurses.so.5
Checking symbols in /lib/lsb/libpthread.so.0
Checking symbols in /lib/lsb/librt.so.1
Checking symbols in /lib/lsb/libutil.so.1
  Didn't find forkpty (unversioned) in libutil.so.1
    forkpty has version GLIBC_2.0, expecting unversioned
  Didn't find login (unversioned) in libutil.so.1
    login has version GLIBC_2.0, expecting unversioned
  Didn't find login_tty (unversioned) in libutil.so.1
    login_tty has version GLIBC_2.0, expecting unversioned
  Didn't find logout (unversioned) in libutil.so.1
    logout has version GLIBC_2.0, expecting unversioned
  Didn't find logwtmp (unversioned) in libutil.so.1
    logwtmp has version GLIBC_2.0, expecting unversioned
  Didn't find openpty (unversioned) in libutil.so.1
    openpty has version GLIBC_2.0, expecting unversioned
Checking symbols in /usr/lib/libz.so.1
bash#

> I.e whats missing, what are the first steps to go etc ?

I think adding more of the necessary commands and utilites would be
useful as it would enable the installation of (potentially) LSB
compliant packages. Currently there is not enough there to say install
the test suites (though more than the LSB will be required for these,
they will be very useful in testing the runtime environment itself).

As for the build environment (or xdevel in the impl module goes) there
didn't seem to be enough there yet to do much at all.

I notice that there are some stub libraries in /usr/lib/lsb-stub - do
you already have a program to autogenerate them from the sql lsb
database?  This is basically where I have started working on improving
the build/xdevel environment.

Regards,

Chris.
--