Re: netdb.h, reentrant libc, h_errno

Stuart Anderson <anderson@metrolink.com> writes:

> On Fri, 7 Dec 2001, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
>
>> features.h is included by almost every glibc header and contains some
>> basic information.  Without features.h you cannot use glibc at all.
>> Without having loked at your environment, I would say add it.
>
> I don't this that will be neccessary. The LSB sort of defines one particular
> set of values for the things in features, so the rest of the headers are
> "hard coded" to those features. They don't need to include features.h to
> figure anything out.

As I've said, I didn't look at the LSB headers so far...

Currently <features.h> does the following:
- include <sys/cdefs.h>
- defines all sort of defines

The only reason I see directly to include <features.h> directly by an
application is to get the values of __GLIBC__ and __GLIBC_MINOR__ if
no other include file is used - but that's quite academical.

If the LSB headers don't need <features.h>, you still need to solve
the problem with <sys/cdefs.h>.  But <sys/cdefs.h> mostly handles
different compilers and if we require an e.g. an ISO C99 compliant
compiler or a certain set of features, we can also get rid of it.

Btw. is there any __LSB__ macro defined anywhere?

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger
  SuSE Labs aj@suse.de