Re: man pages

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Joerg Schilling wrote:

>/*--------------------------------------------------------------------------*/
>
>>A manpage should cover arguments for the program - covering the entire
>>behaviour is way beyond the scope of a manpage.
>
>But the fact that ~ 25% of the programs in  a Linux distribution has no man page
>at all it not good.

In _what_ distribution?  ;o)

>>> Programs that don't have one or where it is incomplete should not be a part
>>> of the base distribution.
>
>>Not a valid option for complex apps.
>
>Let's make an example:
>
>The fact that diff, cmp, tar have no man page at all is not acceptable.

Bad example:

3 root@asdf:~# rpm -qd tar diffutils
/usr/share/info/tar.info.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/tar.1.gz
                    ^^^^^^^^
/usr/share/doc/diffutils-2.7/NEWS
/usr/share/doc/diffutils-2.7/README
/usr/share/info/diff.info-1.gz
/usr/share/info/diff.info-2.gz
/usr/share/info/diff.info-3.gz
/usr/share/info/diff.info-4.gz
/usr/share/info/diff.info.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/cmp.1.gz
                    ^^^^^^^^
/usr/share/man/man1/diff3.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/sdiff.1.gz

2 root@asdf:~# rpm -ql man-pages |grep /usr/share/man/man1/diff.1
/usr/share/man/man1/diff.1.gz

I agree manpages for commands should exist, but these ones do already.

;o)

    Mike A. Harris  -  Linux advocate  -  Open Source advocate
       Opinions and viewpoints expressed are solely my own.