Re: man pages

Trond Eivind Glomsrød <teg@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Joerg Schilling wrote:
>
> > >A manpage should cover arguments for the program - covering the entire
> > >behaviour is way beyond the scope of a manpage.
> >
> > But the fact that ~ 25% of the programs in  a Linux distribution has no man page
> > at all it not good.
>
> The LSB is about providing an environment for programs - not about what is
> in the distributions themselves.

The LSB is (among other things) concerned with the location of various
files that belong to a package.  A program can not be labeled
"lsb-compliant" if it does not fulfill certain requirements.  The LSB's
purpose is "to enable a uniform industry standard environment".

Granted, there is no mention of man-pages or other forms of
documentation in this definition, yet I believe that to "enable a
uniform industry standard environment", one needs documentation for each
tool/application.

Now the man-pages have been an accepted standard (or as close to a
standard as you can get) in the entire unix-world, and I would certainly
believe that the existence of a man-page for any application contributes
to enabling a uniform environment.

Making the existence of a man-page for every LSB-application mandatory
would, IMHO, only be of advantage to the end-user.  The format of the
man-pages could be determined to be as brief as

name - short description

long description

options

author