Re: [klakier@pld.org.pl: Standard libxml-based processing scripts for DocBook?]

/ klakier@pld.org.pl (Rafa³ Kleger-Rudomin) was heard to say:
| That was XML developers who decided that using system IDs in the form
| of URL (URI?) is enough to locate the document.

I think it's fairer to characterize this decision as simply requiring
a system identifier to make the desperate Perl hacker's job
easier. (The fact that system identifiers are URIs is either
irrelevant or entirely reasonable depending on your point of view.)

I think that requiring every parser to have an entity manager was
seen as setting the bar too high.

| FPI is a sgml concept.

Yes, but public identifiers are not.

| It constitutes some artificial mapping between wanted file
| and it's location.  XML was designed to be net oriented - why the
| net_domain/file name (which you can quite easily choose now) is worst to
| identify the resource than some artificial string that must also be
| assigned uniqely worldwide?

Simple. Network domains are not persistent. And they aren't names,
they're addresses. I find twisting my head far enough around to see
"http://nwalsh.com/"; as a name and not an address gives me a headache.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--