Re: [klakier@pld.org.pl: Standard libxml-based processing scripts for DocBook?]

Eric Bischoff <e.bischoff@noos.fr> writes:

> I'm not sure. Having an indirection system that says "this document uses XML
> docbook version 4.1.2" is both intuitive, platform-independant and powerful.
> This is basically what a FPI does. To me, having only optional FPI support in
> XML tools is a major step backwards.

That was XML developers who decided that using system IDs in the form
of URL (URI?) is enough to locate the document. FPI is a sgml concept.
It constitutes some artificial mapping between wanted file
and it's location.  XML was designed to be net oriented - why the
net_domain/file name (which you can quite easily choose now) is worst to
identify the resource than some artificial string that must also be
assigned uniqely worldwide?

> echo "CATALOG /usr/share/sgml/docbook/xml-dtd-4.1.2/catalog" >>
> /etc/sgml/xml-docbook-4.1.2
>
> aren't they basically equivalent?

Seems you did not catch the idea. I shouldn't have called it 'cache',
it's misleading:

It is not really the cache - I assume rpm packages simply contains
files in paths like /usr/share/xmlcache/http:/www.docbook.org/xml/4.1.2/.
When you install package, files are placed in proper location, and can be
used immediately by software (software must be modified of course, but the
implementation is trivial).

No %post scripts any more! No intermetiate files like catalogs, no
configuration, no need to parse anything! Full "plug-and-play" ;)

The instructions I gave before (cp -a...) concered only quick testing
of my patch to rxp.

Regards,
Rafal

--