Re: LSB SGML/XML appendix: finding the DTD

Le Vendredi 18 Mai 2001 12:19, Richard Kettlewell a écrit :
> Eric Bischoff <e.bischoff@noos.fr> writes:
> > While duplicate the files when a pointer is enough? You could easily
> > map http://www.docbook.org/docbookx.dtd to
> > /usr/share/sgml/docbook/xml-dtd-4.1.2/docbookx.dtd in, say,
> > /etc/sgml/xml-cache. It wouldn't make your "patch" much more
> > complicated.
>
> No need to duplicate files; use a symlink.  The symlink can be
> contained in the rpm (or deb or ...).  There's no need to edit a
> configuration file at install time to implement this, either.

Yes, /etc/sgml/xml-cache/http:/www.docbook.org/somewhere/docbookx.dtd could
perfectly be a symlink to the real DTD, of course. Or better something in
var/, as Rafal was proposing.

Having the symlink in the %files list or in a %post script is functionally
equivalent - although the first one is much simpler, of course. You are
perfectly right to mention that.

The networkless machines would have this entry prefetched when installing the
RPM, so the "cache" would know where the file is without having to access the
network.

We could perfectly go for normalizing such a system in the LSB SGML/XML
appendix. It would please Rafal in that it would be a real plug-in system ;-).

But "having the SPEC out" is a priority for LSB right now, so we should
better hurry up if we really want this - if not already too late.

I'm also concerned with the duplication of efforts with catalog mechanisms.
It would be quite sad to say that the catalogs are for SGML, and the
pseudo-cache is for XML - these standards share a common history and common
mechanisms. And it would also mean that Norm and OASIS specialized committees
efforts on XML catalogues were useless. I'm not sure they would appreciate.
So far I've always attempted that the LSB appendix on SGML and XML is only a
more specific subset of what OASIS committees had decided.

Norm? Help !!! ;-)

--
Éric Bischoff  -  Documentation and Localization
Caldera (Deutschland) GmbH - Linux for eBusiness