commercial focus of lsb

It seems to be a general opinion that an important aim of the LSB is to help get commercial developers porting their stuff to linux, i understand that one of the things that will get commercial development is more standardised packageing.

I dont think that the LSB should make a distinction between the different software develpment models, surely standards are equally good for commercial developers and free software developers.

If commercial developers have drawn a "line in the sand" at standardised packaging then i agree that its a good reason for the LSB to concentrate on that, but im sure that free software would equally like standardised packageing, i think the LSB would come across better if it was more neutral, and didnt ever distinguish between the source of the software. (unless you *want* to play politics, which i doubt)

e.g. a goal of the LSB shouldnt be to get commercial vendors releasing their products for linux, it should be to make it easier for all software developers to get their software working on a wide range of distributions.

I do think the LSB is a good thing, not a very easy task though.

Tread carefully.

Glenn