Re: Standard libxml-based processing scripts for DocBook?

Gordon Sadler wrote:
> On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 03:11:37PM +0200, Rafa? Kleger-Rudomin wrote:
> > Is there any effort to provide some standard of processing scripts
> > for LSB systems? Some dbx2html, etc.?
> >
> > There is a chance to avoid the mess that sgml suffers from, by
> > providing some standard tool for processing DocBook XML far before
> > independent developers create own scripts.
> >
> > If there was not such an effort, I would like to start one (work on
> > concepts, and provide scripts)
> >
> Suggest you see the KDE project. Waldo Bastian, IIRC, has already
> created just such a parser. They use it to display documentation stored
> in docbook format.

It's not Waldo Bastian, but it's Stephan Kulow who's written a native DocBook
viewer. The Gnome project has an equivalent tool, and both are based on
libxml/libxslt.

But Rafa was asking here for a conversion tool, with a wrapper around it like
the ones that the docbook-utils package provides.

The KDE project has such a conversion tool (named "meinproc", don't ask me
why), but this tool has its own built-in Formal Public Identifier entity
resolver. This solves the path problems, but also means that so far we are
unable to use out-of-the-box tools, with or without wrappers around them. And
this is Not Good (tm).

--
Éric Bischoff  -  Documentation and Localization
Caldera (Deutschland) GmbH - Linux for eBusiness