Re: Gopher over TLS

On 06/12/2021 07:38, Sean Conner wrote:
   It's happening again.  There's a gopher client (or proxy) that is
attempting to request a page from my gopher site via TLS, *then* regular
TCP.  I still don't think TLS is a viable option for TLS [1] but hey,
differing opinions and all that.  I just think that if any client wants to
use TLS over gopher, follow the above advice.  Thank you.

Gopher over TLS is a silly idea in the first place. What you describe seems to be a gopher client/proxy attempting TLS over the standard gopher port (70) - is that correct? If so, then we're beyond silly, that is plain stupid territory.

I hear about this gopher/TLS abomination since many years now. Haven't those TLS-people figured out a non-intrusive way to do their thing by now without bothering standard-gopher-people? ie. some DNS SRV record, or special URL marking, or CAPS capability, or custom port, or something else?

Mateusz