RE: Questions about URLs for Gopher search items

Super-cool to see this technical discussion. My own Simple Gopher Client didn’t handle it, but the next release will.

From my point of view, there are three separate questions:

  1. If the URL includes %09, should we send a selector+\t+search string to the server?
  2. In the same conditions, how should we treat the returned data?
  3. Should I do anything with a ?

Once separate, it’s more clear that the right thing to do is to send whatever is the in the URL, and to treat the return value as a directory is the gophertype is either 1 or 7. And the ‘?’ isn’t part of the gopher syntax at all.

I’ve just updated my own client to do this albeit with the caveat that the search string needs to contain some actual search. By “updated” I mean the code is changed but it’s not in the store yet 😊

Some tests:

A URL like gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/1/v2/vs%09cheese?head (note the ?) will do a search for cheese?head.

A URL like gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/1/v2/vs?cheese is not a search from my POV; it’s just a plain gopher request for /v2/vs?cheese . If the server wants to treat a selector like /v2/vs?cheese as a search, it’s free to.

A URL like gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/0/v2/vs%09cheese  (note the 0 instead of a 1) will do the search but will treat the results like a file instead of like a directory.

Lastly, a url like gopher://gopher.floodgap.com/1/v2/vs%09 (note that there’s no actual search string) will send up to the server the /v2/vs but will not include a tab.

If I were to update RFC 4266 it might be like this:

“A gopher URL that includes a %09 SHOULD send a Gopher search string to the gopher server regardless of the gophertype. The results SHOULD be processed based on the gophertype and not the presence or absence of the %09 tab character”

Peter

Sent from Mail for Windows 10