Re: Issues with the reference gopher client, magic is needed.

On Sat, 27 Jan 2018 11:29:20 -0700
"Mr. Leveck" <leveck@leveck.us> wrote:

Hello Nathaniel,

> Seeking advice.
>
> I wrote a tiny sh script that uses gsed (I need regex) to clean up the
> gophermap output for the cgi code on the Gutenberg rewrite.

Where can we see the code, is it
gopher://dante.pglaf.org/0/cgi-bin/sourcecode ?

> Lynx of
> course displays perfectly. Sacc displays my leading `i' on text lines
> (!! -- if you use telnet, or G in lynx to change the type to 0 or
> pipe to od -c the output is identical to any other gophermap so I do
> not understand this behavior). UMN Gopher randomly chooses to display
> or not text lines.
>
> Text lines start with i. Text lines end with \tnull.host\t1. EOL is
> \r\n.

Text lines are expected to be formated as any types:
1descriptive name\tselector\tserver address\tport\r\n

> What is the magic reference gopher expects?

You can find the reference here https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1436.txt
although it's a little dated and sometimes a little imprecise.

> Basically every cgi app I
> have ever written refuses to correctly display in gopher unless it is
> called from a gophermap as `=cgi-bin/app' -- which does not work for
> type 7.
>
> Disclaimer to avoid a lecture: Yes, I am fully aware I am shoehorning
> functionality into something that wasn't designed for it. However,
> unless I can pass user input there will be no search.
>
> Help!!

With pleasure, if you have the means to, you can come talk directly on
IRC too, #bitreich-en on Freenode.