Gopher over TLS

I've recently added a Gopher interface to my wiki at alexschroeder.ch. As an experiment, I added TLS support to the server and added it to a client, too. The client I picked was the simple VF-1 client written in Python. Basically it has two modes: TLS mode and normal mode. In normal mode, all connections are considered to be normal; in TLS mode all connections are considered to be encrypted. I get the feeling that this is better and more obvious than having gopher and gophers URL schemas, and figuring out how to integrate SSL into existing Gopher menus.
What do you think?
You can try it yourself: alexschroeder.ch is the normal site, test it using your favorite Gopher client. alexschroeder.ch:7070 is the encrypted site, test it using the following:
echo About | gnutls-cli alexschroeder.ch:7070
Or use the TLS enabled branch of VF-1, https://github.com/kensanata/VF-1/tree/ssl
vf1 --tls alexschroeder.ch:7070/0About

Cheers
Alex